- Zoology Department, University College of Rhodesia and Nyasaland, Salisbury, Southern Rhodesia
Summary of Part II: Variation in worker locomotor activity and worker behaviour inMyrmica rubra microgyna has been experimentally investigated, with the following results. 1. Three worker behaviour groups are recognised as inM. scabrinodis. Differences between these three groups in locomotor activity, behaviour, brood rearing, larval detection, killing power, survival, chemical constitution, oviposition, and possibly size, have been described. 2. Worker ethological plasticity has been demonstrated and aspects of a dynamic worker-job-preference organisation are detectable, despite the absence of discontinuity of melanisation between worker age groups in this species. The significance of the observations of the present author onM. scabrinodis are correlated with those onM. rubra microgyna. The relationship of these observations to other work by the present author on brood rearing efficiency is indicated, and their implications in respect of earlier work on dominance relationships in other social insects is discussed.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 4 - phytopathologie. zoologie agricole. protection des cultures et des forets
- 1 - Life Sciences ; 2 - Agricultural and Biological Sciences ; 3 - Insect Science
- 1 - Life Sciences ; 2 - Agricultural and Biological Sciences ; 3 - Ecology, Evolution, Behavior and Systematics