Growth responses of age 0 white perch and yellow perch from field-enclosure experiments
- 1) Ohio Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit, The Ohio State University, 43210, Columbus, Ohio, USA
In this paper, we investigate the potential for competition between age 0 white perch Morone americana and yellow perch Perca flavescens in field-enclosure experiments. In 1986 and 1987, different densities of white perch and yellow perch were stocked into cages in the western basin of Lake Erie and their growth responses determined. Fish were weighed and measured pre- and post-stocking. In 1986 when fish were food-limited, individual growth of both species were negatively affected by increased total fish density; yellow perch to a greater extent. In 1987, experiments were carried out later in the year at lower temperatures. Yellow perch were shown to feed and continue to grow at lower water temperatures than white perch. We conclude that competition in summer may be mitigated in the fall because of differences in thermal optima between these two species.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 4 - psychologie. psychophysiologie