- 1) Service de phytotechnie de Québec (MAPAQ), Complexe scientifique, 2700, rue Einstein, G1P 3W8, Sainte-Foy (Québec), Canada
The potential of the flowering tobacco,Nicotiana alata, to sustain the survival and the development of the Colorado potato beetle (CPB) was assessed. We made food preference, larval development and rearing tests in relation with other plant species, specially with potato. In spite of a clear preference of the CPB for potato, the insects could complete a full life cycle on the flowering tobacco. In comparison with CPBs on potato, those on the flowering tobacco had a slight delay of two days in their development, beginning when larvae reached their tenth day. CPBs on the flowering tobacco had a much lower survival rate (14.0% against 66.7%) and adults were smaller (100.9 mg against 133.0 mg). Nevertheless, the flowering tobacco is the firstNicotiana species which is an acceptable alternative host for the CPB, and could facilitate the survival and the distribution of the insect.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 4 - psychologie. psychophysiologie