Abstract and Summary: The fatty acid content and composition of 18 species of freshwater fish filets were determined. The fat content and composition varied with anatomical location. The anterior ventral regions of trout and salmon contained more lipids than the posterior dorsal sections. Marked variations in fatty acid composition between species were observed. Palmitic (C16:0), palmitoleic (C16:1), oleic (C18:l), eicosapentaenoic (C20:5 ?3), and docosahexaenoic (C22:6 ?3) were the most abundant fatty acids. The fatty acids were tabulated according to the number and positions of the double bonds. Significant quantities of ?6 C18:2 and C20:4 fatty acids were found in several species.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 4 - psychologie. psychophysiologie
- 1 - Physical Sciences ; 2 - Chemistry ; 3 - Organic Chemistry
- 1 - Physical Sciences ; 2 - Chemical Engineering ; 3 - General Chemical Engineering