- 1) Department of Natural Science, Saga Medical School, Nabeshima, 840-01, Saga, Japan
- 2) Division of Entomology, National Institute of Agro-Environmental Sciences, 305, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
A simple mathematical model of host-parasitoid interaction with host-feeding was presented with special reference to the system of the greenhouse whitefly and the parasitoidEncarsia formosa. In the model, when a parasitoid encounters a host, it has a choice between feeding the host and ovipositing one egg in the host. It was shown that an intermediate value of the feeding ratio of all attacks gives the minimum equilibrium host density and the minimum amplitudes of fluctuation in the densities of the two species. Computer simulations of a modified model with time lags also gave the similar results. The model suggested for natural enemy introduction program that parasitoid species with host-feeding habits are promising agents for effective controls for pest insects and that the timing of introduction is very important. By an evolutionary analysis, it was shown that the feeding ratio evolves to minimize the host density under natural selection among parasitoids.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 1 - Life Sciences ; 2 - Agricultural and Biological Sciences ; 3 - General Agricultural and Biological Sciences