A series of field tests near Wachapreague, Virginia, in 1963 evaluated Polystream and Sevin mixed with sand as a means of controlling populations of oyster drills,Urosalpinx cinerea. Tests were designed to evaluate effects on planted oysters, drills, drill egg case deposition, crabs, and benthic invertebrates. Application of the chemicals to planted oyster beds did not reduce drill populations or numbers of drill egg cases deposited. Oyster production was not increased and treatment had an adverse effect on most species of benthic macroinvertebrates. Absence of drill control could have been associated with mixing of treated sand into subsurvace deposits but other factors may have been involved.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 4 - vertebres: anatomie et physiologie, organisme dans son ensemble ou etude de plusieurs organes ou systemes
- 1 - Life Sciences ; 2 - Agricultural and Biological Sciences ; 3 - Aquatic Science
- 1 - Physical Sciences ; 2 - Chemistry ; 3 - General Chemistry
- 1 - Physical Sciences ; 2 - Chemical Engineering ; 3 - Catalysis