Genetic differentiation among eight color types of the freshwater goby, Rhinogobius brunneus , from western Japan
Genetic differentiation among eight color types of the freshwater goby,Rhinogobius brunneus, from the western part of Japan was investigated by using electrophoretic methods. Four sympatric types (Cross-band, Dark, Cobalt and Large-Dark (A) types) did not share alleles at between one and six loci out of 12 loci tested. No hybrid specimens were found among these types. The average genetic distances among these four types ranged from 0.13 to 0.72, which fall within the range of values among congeneric species of fishes. The average genetic distances among the other four types, Large-Dark (B), Orange, Shinji-Lake and Boso types, were only 0.01 to 0.03, and fall within the range of values among conspecific populations. These results suggest that the former four types are clearly discrete species and the latter four types may be considered as intraspecific variations of a fifth species.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 4 - psychologie. psychophysiologie
- 1 - Life Sciences ; 2 - Agricultural and Biological Sciences ; 3 - Ecology, Evolution, Behavior and Systematics