Interspecific variations in the surface ultrastructure of the gills of freshwater mullets
- 1) Post-Graduate Department of Zoology, Bhagalpur University, Bhagalpur-812007 (Bihar), India
SEM studies were made on the gills of freshwater mullets,Rhinomugil corsula andSicamugil cascasia, to correlate surface ultrastructure of various gill units with their probable functions. Two types of lamellated gill rakers of the former fish are suited for plankton feeding and the short, stumpy and transversely beaded gill rakers of the latter reflect the varied food and feeding habit of the fish.R. corsula has numerous mucous glands on the epithelium covering the gill arch and gill filaments,S. cascasia has fewer. In accordance with the differences in the density and distribution of the mucous glands, the microridged epithelial cells also show variations in their architectural plan. In both species the epithelium of the secondary lamellae is smooth, probably an adaptation for better gaseous exchange.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 4 - psychologie. psychophysiologie
- 1 - Life Sciences ; 2 - Agricultural and Biological Sciences ; 3 - Ecology, Evolution, Behavior and Systematics