Epidermal ultrastructure of Anoplodium stichopi (Plathelminthes, Dalyellioida), a flatworm endosymbiotic in Stichopus tremulus (Holothurioida)
The epidermal ultrastructure of Anoplodium stichopi Bock 1925 (Platyhelminthes, Dalyellioida, Umagillidae) was studied using transmission and scanning electron microscopy. The species lives in the perivisceral coelom of the aspidochirote holothurian Stichopus tremulus Gunnerus 1767. Two types of cells were observed in the epidermis of A. stichopi: ciliated cuboidal epithelial cells and nonciliated pear-shaped cells. The surface of the ciliated epidermal cells is folded into anastomosing ridges. Numerous coated vesicles are subjacent to the surface folds and mitochondria are abundant just below them. Observations indicate that A. stichopi takes up nutrients pinocytically from the coelomic fluid of the host. The ciliation of A. stichopi is sparse.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 4 - genetique des eucaryotes. evolution biologique et moleculaire
- 1 - Life Sciences ; 2 - Biochemistry, Genetics and Molecular Biology ; 3 - Developmental Biology
- 1 - Life Sciences ; 2 - Agricultural and Biological Sciences ; 3 - Animal Science and Zoology