An outline on lateral fish migrations within the Central Delta of the Niger River, Mali
- 1) O.R.S.T.O.M. Institut Français de Recherche Scientifique pour le Développement en Cooperation, 213, rue La Fayette, 75480, Paris cedex 10, France
- 2) Institute of Systematic and Ecological Biology, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, 603 55, Brno, The Czech Republic
The lateral migration of fishes was studied during one entire flood cycle (1991) in a typical floodplain sector of the Central Delta of Niger at Batamani, Mali. The intensity and temporal course of migrations, as well as the species and size composition of migrants, were found to be correlated with the hydrological regime (river and floodplain water levels, direction and velocity of water flow in a temporary canal). Four different types of migratory patterns were described and their typical representatives indicated. The significant role of the river as a spawning site and that of the flood plain as a nursery for most locally important fishes was also accentuated.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 4 - psychologie. psychophysiologie