- 1) Department of Biological Sciences, Florida Institute of Technology, 32901, Melbourne, Florida, U.S.A.
Synopsis: Variation in the diurnal composition of a fish assemblage of a Bahamian coral reef was investigated by comparing visual counts of fishes taken along a 100 × 4 m wide fixed transect at four times: 0900, 1200, 1500 and 1800 hours during the summer of 1979. One sample per day was obtained at each time period over a span of 20 consecutive days. Forty-two species were recorded in these samples, with 25 occurring frequently enough to permit statistical analysis of diurnal variations in abundance. Of the 25 species compared, nearly one fourth (6 species) displayed significant variation in abundance patterns among the four time periods tested. It is suggested, because of the strong possibility of bias which might otherwise be introduced because of these variations, that repetitive quantitative visual censusing of coral reef fishes be undertaken at about the same time each day.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 4 - sylviculture
- 1 - Life Sciences ; 2 - Agricultural and Biological Sciences ; 3 - Aquatic Science
- 1 - Life Sciences ; 2 - Agricultural and Biological Sciences ; 3 - Ecology, Evolution, Behavior and Systematics