Seasonal variation in catabolic enzyme activities in breast muscle of some migratory birds
- 1) Department of Zoophysiology, PB 560, S-751 22, Uppsala, Sweden
- 2) Department of Animal Nutrition and Management, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, PB 7046, S-750 07, Uppsala, Sweden
Five bird species were examined in order to ascertain if any changes in flight muscle catabolism take place between breeding season and migration. Two different patterns were discovered. The first consists of a high oxidative capacity and a low glycolytic and anaerobic capacity during migration. The converse occurs during the breeding season, i.e. low oxidative, high glycolytic and anaerobic capacity. The pattern was found in those species that deposit large amounts of fat prior to migration. The second pattern was similar to the first, but there was no change in fatty acid oxidation capacity between breeding season and migration. The pattern was found in those species that do not deposit much fat towards migration. These changes are believed to reflect differences in migration strategy and differences in locomotory activity during different seasons. Deviations from these patterns are discussed.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 1 - Life Sciences ; 2 - Agricultural and Biological Sciences ; 3 - Ecology, Evolution, Behavior and Systematics