Abundance and feeding of wintering and migrating aquatic birds in two sampling areas of Lake Balaton in 1983–1985
- Balaton Limnological Research Institute of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, P.O.Box 35, H-8237, Tihany, Hungary
The investigation was carried out at two sampling areas in Lake Balaton (surface area 600 km2), of which one was hypertrophic and the other was mesotrophic. Species diversity was higher in the hypertrophic area, primarily due to a higher number of Anatid species. Contents of crops, gizzards, and intestines were analysed in 321 of the 361 birds collected. Diet was similar in certain species (Aythya fuligula, A. f. ferina, Anas querquedula) despite differences in the trophic state of their habitats. However, in other species (Anas p. platyrhyncha, Aythya nyroca, Bucephala c. clangula), percentage distribution of food items more or less reflected the food resources of the two areas in the digestive tracts. I concluded that the former species are highly selective in their feeding.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 4 - ecologie animale, vegetale et microbienne