- 1) Virginia Cooperative Wildlife Research Unit, Virginia Polytechnic Institute, Blacksburg, Virginia
- 2) Audubon Naturalist Society, 1621 Wisconsin Avenue, N.W., Washington 7, D.C.
Results of a 1962 mid-winter census of the American bald eagle,Haliaeetus leucocephalus, present in the greater Chesapeake Bay region are reported. Ground observations supplemented by some aerial coverage located 200 eagles of which 24 per cent were immature birds. Previous attempts to estimate eagle abundance through nest surveys in the region are reviewed. Though this census offers the most complete estimate of eagle abundance in this region at any one time, similar counts coupled with nesting success studies should be conducted on an annual basis for several years to fully understand the true status of this species in this area.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 4 - psychologie. psychophysiologie
- 1 - Life Sciences ; 2 - Agricultural and Biological Sciences ; 3 - Aquatic Science
- 1 - Physical Sciences ; 2 - Chemistry ; 3 - General Chemistry
- 1 - Physical Sciences ; 2 - Chemical Engineering ; 3 - Catalysis