- Museum of Natural History and Department of Systematics & Ecology, The University of Kansas, 66045-2454, Lawrence, KS, U.S.A.
Synopsis: The palate of Latimeria chalumnae is described based mainly on three-dimensional CT scan reconstruction. It is compared with that of other osteichthyans. The palate of L. chalumnae compares best with that of rhipidistians; it is more advanced than that of actinopterygians in having fewer bones. This tendency toward bone reduction in the palate is even more pronounced in dipnoans. The interpretation of features of the Early Devonian genus Diabolepis determines if authors consider dipnoans or actinistians more closely related to tetrapods. Both groups are only distant relatives of tetrapods.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences medicales
- 1 - Life Sciences ; 2 - Agricultural and Biological Sciences ; 3 - Aquatic Science
- 1 - Life Sciences ; 2 - Agricultural and Biological Sciences ; 3 - Ecology, Evolution, Behavior and Systematics