- 1) Biology Dept., Concordia University, 1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W., H3G 1M8, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
An enclosure experiment was performed in 1981 to determine if predation by perch (Perca flavescens) affected the density, depth distribution or size structure of members of the crustacean zooplankton community in Lac Choiniere, Quebec. Perch predation reduces the density of all but the smallest zooplankton in enclosures, and the relative rate of predation is influenced by both size and depth distribution of prey species. More individuals and proportionally more large individuals are found in deep water when perch are present. These results are discussed in relation to theories that size-selective predation alters numerous characteristics of zooplankton prey community structure.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 4 - psychologie. psychophysiologie