- 1) Fisheries Division, Finnish Game and Fisheries Research Institute, Po. Box 193, SF-00131, Helsinki 13
Freshwater fishery management is treated as a dynamic system comprising environment protection and improvement, fishing, fishery resources allocation, fish stocking programs and marketing policy. The aims of the plan are to increase the economic value of the catch and to protect the professional fishery. Fisheries statistics, catch per unit effort data and other material were collected during 1972–1976. The total allowable catch (TAC) for the most important fish species was estimated with MSY and population analysis models. The results of fish stockings were studied by tagging and population analysis calculations. Fishing of vendace and non-valuable species (perch, roach, smelt) can be increased, but the fishing pressure on other species should not be raised above the present level. Restrictions on whitefish fishing are needed in some areas. A balanced multispecies fishery is desirable, and suggestions are given for the composition of the fishing gear. Fish stocking can make possible a larger and more valuable catch, but at present its profitability is rather low. The stocking results are strongly affected by the fishery and the gear composition.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 4 - ecologie animale, vegetale et microbienne