- 1) Biophysics Laboratory, Physics Department, Nizam College, 500001, Hyderabad
- 2) Zoology Department, Postgraduate Centre, Warangal
The paper presents a theoretical approach for computing the wing beat frequency of a flier whether it be an insect, bird or bat in its normal state of hovering on the basis of mass flow of air. The calculated values are found to be in good agreement with the observed values. The paper describes the results of 5 species of insects, 4 species of birds and 3 species of megachiropteran bats totalling 136 samples. The mass of the fliers ranges between 0·07 gms to 744 gms and frequencies range from 125 cps to 4 cps respectively. It is concluded that the wing beat frequency of a flier in general varies with the state of flight.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 4 - ecologie animale, vegetale et microbienne