- 1) Laboratoire d'Ecologie des Systèmes Fluviaux, URA CNRS 1451, Université Cl. Bernard, 1 rue Parmentier, 13200, Arles, France
Fish community structure can be considered at several scales. The watershed is the largest geographic unit connecting freshwater systems. It describes the upstream-downstream gradient resulting from changes in flow rates. The watershed can also extend over distinct ecological regions. The number of native fish species recorded in each sub-watershed directly connected to the Rhône is strongly correlated with the area of the sub-watershed. Three major groups of sub-watersheds can be retained as ichthyogeographic regions: the Saône region, dominated by a large alluvial plain and rich in species, the Isère region representing the north and central Alpine rivers and the Durance region, strongly influenced by the Mediterranean climate. The River Rhône basin reveals a high diversity of native faunal regions which have to be considered in monitoring and managing the network.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 4 - psychologie. psychophysiologie