The role of small mammals and birds in transport of matter through the shore zone of lakes
- 1) Institute of Ecology, Polish Academy of Sciences, 05-092, Dziekands Le?ny, Komianki, Poland
- 2) Department of Ecology, Institute of Zoology, University of Warsaw, Krakowskie Przedmie?cie 26/28, 00-927/1, Warszawa, Poland
An attempt was made to estimate the role of small mammals and birds in the cycling of nutrients in the littoral zone of lakes. We estimated the approximate amounts of food, organic matter and elements ingested and egested during the breeding season by waterfowl. Small mammal densities were estimated, and their movements studied between different patches of a mosaic landscape, including the lake's shore region. Studies on passerine birds were aimed at determining the territories of some species in alder forest. Special attention was paid to the range of penetration of the reed belts by forest species.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 4 - psychologie. psychophysiologie