Studies on the ecology of Salvinia molesta Mitchell: B. Faunal associates of lentic and lotie habitats
- 1) Department of Aquatic Biology and Fisheries, University of Kerala, 695 007, Trivandrum, India
Seasonal fluctuations of the fauna associated with the water fern,Salvinia molesta growing in a lotic habitat and the fluctuations during the three stages of the fern’s growth in a lentic habitat were studied. As many as 66 species belonging to six phyla were recorded, the major components being crustaceans, insect larvae and gastropods. The density of the fauna of the lotic habitat varied between 1267–7663/kg ofSalvinia, and thatof Salvinia of floating stage, intermediate stage and grown up stage (overcrowded) of the lentic habitat were 9610, 8860, 108 respectively/kg. Prolonged overcrowding ofSalvinia resulted in a sharp decline of the associated fauna.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 4 - psychologie. psychophysiologie