- 1) HEJ Research Institute of Chemistry, University of Karachi, 75270, Karachi, Pakistan
Primary structure of hemoglobin of ?-chain ofColumba livia is presented. The separation of ?-chain was obtained from globin by ion-exchange chromatography (CMC-52) and reversed-phase HPLC (RP-2 column). Amino acid sequence of intact as well as tryptic digested chain was determined on gas-phase sequencer. Structure is aligned homologously with 21 other species. Among different exchanges, positions ?24 (Tyr?Leu), ?26 (Ala?Gly), ?32 (Met?Leu), ?64 (Asp?Glu), ?113 (Leu?Phe), and ?129 (Leu?Val) are unique to pigeon hemoglobin. The various exchanges in ?-chain are discussed with reference to evolution and phylogeny. The results show that the order Columbiformes is evolutionarily closer to the order Anseriformes. Since the pigeon is homogeneous, having HbA (?A-chain) and lacks ?D-chain, its phylogenetic placement could be established among birds having single hemoglobin components.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 4 - ethologie animale
- 1 - Life Sciences ; 2 - Biochemistry, Genetics and Molecular Biology ; 3 - Biochemistry