- 1) Department of Biology, Laboratory of Ecological Zoology, University of Turku, Finland
- 2) Tvärminne Zoological Station, University of Helsinki, Finland
The site of settlement of barnacles (Balanus improvisus) attached on shells of bluemussels (Mytilus edulis) was mapped from a sample of mussels collected in the Baltic Sea. Most barnacles had settled near the siphonal apertures of the mussel. An experiment was made to measure the disadvantages and advantages that living in close association brings to barnacles and mussels. The barnacles on shells of living mussels were shown to grow significantly faster than those on empty mussel shells. Presence of barnacles had no effects on growth of mussels. The two-species association under study was demonstrated to be a case of commensalism.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 4 - ecologie animale, vegetale et microbienne
- 1 - Life Sciences ; 2 - Agricultural and Biological Sciences ; 3 - Ecology, Evolution, Behavior and Systematics