Observations on the seasonal and yearly occurrence and the distribution of Atyaephyra desmaresti (Millet, 1831) (Crustacea, Decapoda, Natantia) in The Netherlands
- 1) Laboratory of Aquatic Ecology, University of Nijmegen, Toernooiveld, 6525 ED, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
The seasonal occurrence ofAtyaephyra desmaresti in The Netherlands has been studied by sampling the cooling-water filtering screens of power stations situated along the rivers Rhine and Meuse. The shrimps were only found in large numbers at the two power stations with vegetation in the cooling-water intake areas. Fluctuations in the seasonal occurrence showed great similarity for these two localities. Highest numbers of shrimps were impinged in November. High numbers also occurred in September, while a lower peak in numbers was found in May. Changes in the numbers of records during the last 30 years in The Netherlands were compared with climatological fluctuations (severe or mild winters), indicating that this mainly southern-European species is living here at the limits of its ecological and geographical range. The distribution in The Netherlands reveals thatAtyaephyra desmaresti mainly occurs in freshwater habitats, although it tolerates higher chlorinities.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 4 - ecologie animale, vegetale et microbienne
- 1 - Life Sciences ; 2 - Agricultural and Biological Sciences ; 3 - General Agricultural and Biological Sciences