- 1) Japan Marine Fishery Resource Research Center, 3-4, Kioi-cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan
- 2) Ocean Research Institute, University of Tokyo, 1-15-1, Minamidai, Nakano-ku, Tokyo, Japan
The food of fish in the western area of the Ross Sea was studied. Four locations were sampled using a bottom trawl. Twenty-four species of fish belonging to six families were caught. Pleuragramma antarcticum was the most important species among them and Chionodraco myersi was also abundant. The food chain, starting from small crustaceans such as Parathemisto gaudichaudii, copepods and Euphausia crystallorophias and extending through P. antarcticum to channichthyids is considered the most important chain in the food web of the fish community of the western Ross Sea in summer. The significance of the ecological role of P. antarcticum in the food web of the fish community of this area where the krill, Euphausia superba, is scarce is discussed.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 4 - cytologie, morphologie, systematique, floristique et evolution des vegetaux
- 1 - Life Sciences ; 2 - Agricultural and Biological Sciences ; 3 - General Agricultural and Biological Sciences