- 1) School of History & Archaeology, University of Wales College of Cardiff, P.O. Box 909, CF1 3XU, Cardiff, UK
- 2) Loch Ness & Morar Project, Loch Ness Centre, Drumnadrochit, Inverness-shire, IV3 6TU, Scotland, UK
We report the results of quantitative and qualitative investigations of the ostracod fauna of the profundal benthos of Loch Ness, an oligotrophic lake in Scotland, UK. Six ostracod species were recorded from profundal samples: Candona angulata, C. candida, Cryptocandona reducta, Cypria ophthalmica, Cyclocypris ovum and Potamocypris smaragdina. In addition, Psychrodromus robertsoni was found in fish gut contents. The mean density of profundal ostracods was 262 individuals m2, with an average Brillouin's Diversity of 0.7. A weak inverse relationship between fish body weight and the number of ostracods eaten is reported for Arctic charr, Salvelinus alpinus.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 4 - vertebres: systeme nerveux et organes des sens