- 1) Animal Health Department, Ministry of Agriculture, Amman, Jordan
- 2) Department of Biological Sciences, University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan
Five species of cestodes namelyEchinococcus granulosus, Taenia hydatigena, Taenia pisiformis, Taenia ovis andDipylidium caninum were recovered post mortem from 120 out of 173 stray dogs collected from the 5 governorates of Jordan during the period June 1979 to November 1980. Twenty-five of the examined dogs (14%) were found to be infected withE. granulosus, 79 (46%) withT. hydatigena, 14 (8%) withT. pisiformis and 5 (3%) withT. ovis. Dipylidium caninum was encountered in 33 (19%) of the examined dogs and infection with this parasite was significantly higher in males than in females. The parasites, except forD. caninum which was encountered in the ileum, were almost exclusively recovered from the duodenum and the jejunum. Single, double and triple infections with those cestodes were recorded.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 4 - invertebres