Rates of evaporative water loss and oxygen consumption were measured for the 0.37 g gekkonid lizard, Sphaerodactylus beattyi, and the results compared with those reported previously for a 0.45 g form, S. macrolepis, (Snyder, 1975). Water loss for S. beattyi was 37% lower than for S. macrolepis and the difference was accounted for by a lower rate of cutaneous water loss. Rates of respiratory water loss and oxygen consumption were comparable for the two species. The two species are parapatric on the island of St. Croix and the differences in rates of water loss are reflected in their ecologic distribution on the island.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 4 - ecologie animale, vegetale et microbienne
- 1 - Life Sciences ; 2 - Agricultural and Biological Sciences ; 3 - Ecology, Evolution, Behavior and Systematics