- 1) Instituut voor Dierkunde, Rijksuniversiteit Gent, K.L. Ledeganckstraat 35, B-9000, Gent, Belgium
During a trans-Saharan expedition in 1980 a number of samples were collected from stagnant and running fresh and slightly saline water bodies. One of them, collected from the Oued En-Namous in a small oasis yielded several interesting nematodes, among which was a newHalalaimus species described herein asHalalaimus algeriensis n. sp. It comes close toH. minusculus Tchesunov, 1978, but differs in tailshape, absence of males and habitat. It also resembles the marine speciesH. gracilis de Man, 1888, but differs in the relative length of the anterior setae, the absence of a lateral field and absence of males. The new species can be differentiated fromH. stammeri Schneider, 1940, the only fresh water species found hitherto, by its shorter body, more anterior and wider fovea, and the length and position of the anterior setae. The various juvenile stages can be separated on the basis of body length, foveal length and genital primordium.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 4 - psychologie. psychophysiologie