- Department of Zoology, University of Turku, SF-20500, Turku 50, Finland
- Tvärminne Zoological Station, University of Helsinki, SF-10850, Tvärminne, Finland
1. The Bothnian Bay, the northernmost basin of the Baltic Sea, is a large, open and shallow water body of low salinity and of arctic character. 2. The most prominent components of its fauna are the limnic and genuine brackish-water species and marine glacial relicts. 3. Eight to ten macroscopic species of euryhaline marine invertebrates, five of which are planktonic, have a breeding stock in the area. Six to ten marine species of fish are stationary. Their distribution is limited not only by the salinity, but apparently also by the temperature and several other factors, which have not yet been studied in the Bothnian Bay. 4. The area is still faunistically incompletely studied. Further investigations might change the distribution limits of the marine species, but major additions into the marine element are not to be expected.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 4 - ecologie animale, vegetale et microbienne
- 1 - Life Sciences ; 2 - Agricultural and Biological Sciences ; 3 - General Agricultural and Biological Sciences