- 1) Centre of Research for Development, University of Kashmir, 190 006, Srinagar, India
The accelerated nutrient enrichment of Dal Lake, Kashmir has augmented the production of aquatic vegetation to the point where many recreational activities have been severely impaired. For providing relief from nuisance conditions mechanical deweeding was introduced in the lake in 1986. The present study assesses the impact of large scale vegetation removal on water quality, plankton population, macrophyte and fish. The concentrations of electrical conductivity, dissolved oxygen, total phosphorus and nitratenitrogen changed significantly immediately after deweeding. Phytoplankton species which increased after deweeding includeAmphora ovalis, Cymbella cistula, Cosmarium sp.: also rotifers increased (Anuraeopsis fissa, Brachionus calyciflorus andMonostyla bulla).
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 4 - cytologie, morphologie, systematique, floristique et evolution des vegetaux