- 1) Department of Biology, Royal Holloway University of London, TW20 0EX, Egham, Surrey
- 2) Hydrobiological Institute, Czech Academy of Sciences, Na Sadkach 7, 370 05, Ceske Budejovice, The Czech Republic
The morphology and function of one tropical and 25 temperate reservoirs are examined in relation to their effect upon the nature of the land/water interface and, further, to what extent the features of these ecotones satisfy the ecological requirements of the reservoir fish species throughout their life cycle during spawning, larval, juvenile and adult stages. The two main conclusions are that (1) reservoir fish species are especially dependent upon land/water ecotones during their early life history and (2) there exists a strong relationship between the extent of the littoral area and the nature of the fish stocks. Several examples are given to show that manipulation of the land/water ecotone is a major tool for the management of reservoirs advantageously for their major functions.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 4 - psychologie. psychophysiologie