- Nigerian Institute for Oceanography and Marine Research, P.M.B. 12729, Victoria Island, Lagos State, Nigeria
A bar-built estuary, a drowned river valley and two river delta estuaries were compared and contrasted to elucidate the impact of some abiotic factors, notably climate, salinity, and oxygen on the distribution of the aquatic fauna and flora. Salinity was recognizable as the key factor responsible for the population dynamics in these habitats. The mangrove community is characteristically zoned, but development and distribution of the trees is restricted in view of coastal geomorphic and hydrological processes to the western banks of the estuaries. The preponderance of marine fish species in estuaries was confirmed, although the wide salinity tolerance of some prolific-breeding Cichlidae from freshwater was noted. Forty-eight species of bony fishes were recorded in Lagos Lagoon, the Escravos, and Qua Ibo estuaries and classified by salinity tolerance into stenohaline and euryhaline marine species (66%), and freshwater species (34%). The same estuarine ichthyofauna were split into trophic groups: piscivores (46%), zooplankton feeders (10%), meiobenthos feeders (27%), and macrobenthos feeders (17%).
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 4 - psychologie. psychophysiologie