- 1) Department of Nematology, University of California, 92521-0415, Riverside, CA, USA
- 2) Environmental Studies Program, Dartmouth College, 03755-3560, Hanover, NH, USA
Nematode density and taxonomic composition from Dry Valley soil processed by the sugar centrifugation (SC) method in Antarctica was compared to those extracted from soils shipped frozen to the USA and processed by either the SC or Baermann Funnel (BF) (at 5°C and 10°C) techniques. Soil selected for the extraction comparisons represented a wide range of soil properties found in the Dry Valleys. More nematodes were recovered from freshly collected Antarctic soil and from stored frozen soil using the SC technique than from BF at either temperature (P<0.05). Temperature had no effect on nematode densities extracted by the BF. Scottnema lindsayae was the most abundant species recovered by all extraction methods, but recovery was significantly lower from stored soils. Thus, nematodes can be extracted qualitatively following frozen storage using SC, but quantitative studies of nematode populations should be based on soils extracted following field sampling.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 4 - psychologie. psychophysiologie
- 1 - Life Sciences ; 2 - Agricultural and Biological Sciences ; 3 - General Agricultural and Biological Sciences