The role of ecotones as feeding grounds for fish fry in a Bohemian water supply reservoir
- Hydrobiological Institute, Czech Academy of Sciences, Na sádkách 7, 370 05, ?eské Bud?jovice, Czech Republic
The food composition of young-of-the-year (YOY) roach, common bream and perch, the dominant fish species in ?ímov reservoir, was investigated during 1989 and 1990. The littoral fry assemblages were dominated by roach and perch, while bream larvae migrated into deeper water early in their development. The YOY roach fed opportunistically. Up to 15 mm length they remained close to the shoreline, preferring periphyton, Chydoridae and larval Chironomidae. Perch larvae between 10–15 mm long gradually became demersal but their diet continued to consist of the planktonic Cyclops spp. and Diaptomus spp. Resource partitioning was a characteristic feature of the littoral fry assemblages. The only significant overlap in diet occurred with Polyphemus pediculus, which was positively selected by both roach and perch fry.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 4 - psychologie. psychophysiologie