Effect of an entomopathogenic nematode, Steinernema carpocapsae Weiser (Nematoda, Steinernematidae), on carabid beetles in field trials with annual legumes
Two species of carabid beetle:Bembidion properans Steph. andPterostichus cupreus L. were the most often captured into pitfall traps in the spring period on plots with various cultivars of annual legumes. The greatest density ofP. cupreus population in the field with annual legumes was observed in May, in the feeding and eggs laying period by pea weevilSitona lineatus L. (Col. Curculionidae) — the main legumes pest. In June the most frequent carabid wasB. properans, the small beetles destroying the eggs or young larvae ofSitona lineatus. No effect of usingS. carpocapsae nematodes to infect nontarget carabid species was found in case different doses of invasive larvae on the soil surface into traps, although the mortality of captured ground beetles was high. The length of life of Carabidae collected from traps with nematodes were not significantly decreased in comparison with the control group.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 4 - psychologie. psychophysiologie
- 1 - Life Sciences ; 2 - Agricultural and Biological Sciences ; 3 - General Agricultural and Biological Sciences
- 1 - Physical Sciences ; 2 - Environmental Science ; 3 - General Environmental Science