Electrophoretic discrimination of Tribolodon species (Cyprinidae) and the occurrence of their hybrids
- 1) Laboratory of Embryology and Genetics, Faculty of Fisheries, Hokkaido University, 041, Hakodate, Japan
Electrophoretic discrimination was carried out on three species of the genusTribolodon (Cyprinidae),T. hakonensis, T. brandti andT. ezoe, by examining five loci controlling lactate dehydrogenase (LDH), phosphoglucomutase (PGM), phosphoglucose isomerase (PGI), and muscle protein (MP). Consequently, a clear-cut identification of the three species was possible even in 0+ young which were difficult to distinguish morphologically. Moreover, 1.0–19.9% of fish examined were detected electrophoreticaly as hybrids which had been previously undetected. The existence of such spontaneous hybrids has further complicated the classification of the genusTribolodon. In spite of imperfect reproductive isolation, the electrophoretic data supports the independent nature of the three species of the genusTribolodon.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 4 - psychologie. psychophysiologie
- 1 - Life Sciences ; 2 - Agricultural and Biological Sciences ; 3 - Ecology, Evolution, Behavior and Systematics