Vertical foodweb structure of freshwater zooplankton assemblages estimated by stable nitrogen isotopes
- 1) Department of Biology, McGill University, 1205 Ave. Dr. Penfield, H3A 1B1, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Although theoretical foodweb models predict the presence of only three to four trophic categories, estimation of “potential” vertical foodweb structure from species lists and inferred feeding interactions suggest that as many as 7 trophic categories can occur in the pelagic foodwebs of North American glaciated lakes. A compilation of data on the nitrogen isotopic composition of zooplankton from 46 Canadian Shield lakes suggested the average existence of one “realized” trophic category in addition to that of filter-feeding, herbivorous cladocerans. When phytoplankton, planktivorous invertebrates, and plantivorous and piscivorous fish are included, the vertical foodweb structure in the pelagic zones of these lakes are greater than those hypothesized from some theoretical models.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines
- 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales
- 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie
- 4 - psychologie. psychophysiologie
- 1 - Life Sciences ; 2 - Agricultural and Biological Sciences ; 3 - General Agricultural and Biological Sciences